Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Circus Yarn Tote


 This is the start of my circus bag. You start with a sheet of scrapbook paper or other decorated paper. You could even use fabric. Then you laminate it. The bag needs two pieces the same size for the front and back, two the same size for the two sides, and one as long as the bottom of the front and as wide as the bottom the sides to use as a bottom. If you make your sides more narrow at the top your bag will have a smaller open end (top opening). I found this circus paper and loved it, so it became my new yarn tote. Remember that this bag will be sturdy but not sturdy enough for heavy items.




Here are all of the pieces laminated. I found this laminator at Costco. It was about $18 and came with 40 (I think) laminating pouches. There were a few different sizes in the box so it was a good deal for trying out new projects. It is the Purple Cow brand laminator. 




I used the Crop-A-Dile eyelet punch to add eyelets around the edges of all my pieces. The eyelets were very expensive but I got them 70% off at a Michaels sale. The next bag I make, I'll try using grommets and a grommet punch from the fabric section of the craft store. Hopefully that will save on cost.  


I then used a pink stripped ribbon to lace up the edges and tied a double knot in the ends to hold them in place.





Here I used a piece of white pillowcase ( I didn't have white fabric) to make a strap. I used yellow thread and a zig zag stitch to attach strips of the pink ribbon as an extra touch.



I used a grommet to make another hole to add the strap. Using embroidery floss I tied buttons on the outside and inside with the strap between the two. This lets the strap move and makes it look pretty on the inside.


That's it! I am so in love with this bag. It is my pride and joy of the year so far.


No comments:

Post a Comment